Monday, November 23, 2015

i-Monday: From Amateur Photographer to Inspiration

Brandon Stanton grew up in a suburb of Atlanta. He had got degree of history from the University of Georgia. His first job was serving as a bond trader in Chicago back in 2006. After few years, he was totally sliding away off his career. He decided to try something different. He bought professional camera at first and wandered the streets to catch exquisite moments. He is now author of 3 Best Selling books.
 “Humans of New York” is an amazing story, and it’s a story that could not have happened ten years ago. Without social media, I’d probably just be a quirky amateur photographer with a hard drive full of photos. I’d be cold-calling respected publications, begging for a feature. I may have even quit by now. Instead, I’ve discovered a daily audience of nearly a million people. Or should I say they discovered me.I don’t want to “cash out” or “monetize” HONY [Humans of New York]. I like to say it publicly because I want my audience to keep me on mission. HONY print sales have raised nearly $500,000 for charity in the past six months. I want to further monetize the site for nonprofit ventures. I honestly want to “give” HONY to New York in some way”.
“I Just Have Changed the World’s Sight”, 
Brandon Stanton

Information reference: This was excerpted from the taken blog “30 Under 30” from “Times Magazine” and an online interview taken in 2013.

Picture reference: www.johnstepper.com

No comments:

Post a Comment